Tummery see off Lisbellaw In Mulhern Cup

Tummery see off Lisbellaw In Mulhern Cup

February 12th, 2023

Tummery were back in cup action this week again dusting themselves down after last weeks Irish junior cup exit at the hands of strathroy harps at strathroy road taking on in form Lisbellaw United at Crawfords Lane.

Ryan named a changed team from last weeks game being forced in to a few changes prior to kickoff. The gaffer himself left out of the starting eleven carrying a slight knock from last week and captain Adrian McCaffrey only fit enough for the bench and Blain Campbell returning from suspension to take the place of Michael Logue at the heart of the defence. Starting positions for Paudi Dillon and Pearse McNabb at centre midfield.

Referee Martin Crawford got proceedings underway on a pitch that was in pristine condition for this time of the year and tummery started the game well pressing Lisbellaw all over the pitch and had no clear cut chances in the first 15 minutes. The honesty of James Garrity seen him denied a stone wall penalty he stayed on his feet after being harshly tackled by coulter. Ryan Lindsay could count himself lucky to be still on the pitch on 23 minutes when his awful challenge on Pearse McNabb was deemed to be only a yellow by whistler Crawford a straight leg high challenge. On 26 minutes the dead lock was broken when a long ball over the top set Paudi Dillon through on goal an his shot or the covering defender got his foot on the ball an deflected the ball past the onrushing keeper an in to net to put Tummery 1 up.

Lisbellaw tried to enforce themselves on the tie for the next 15 minutes with Richard woods causing havoc with his direct running and speed but Niall McCrory was comfortable in the home net. In injury time the score line was doubled when Martin Hughes was teed up from 6 yards and the keeper saved pushing the ball out for a corner, James Garrity hit the resulting corner and Blain Campbell headed home. A great time to double the lead just as the half time whistle blew. Constant fouling and late challenges going unpunished by whistler Crawford.

Tummery took to the field in the second half attacking the road end of the ground. Lisbellaw grew in to the game and halved the deficit on 51 minutes when centre half coulter powered home an uncontested header at the back post when he escaped his marker Campbell. On 52 minutes the lead increased to 2 again when Paudi Dillon finished to the far corner of the net past McDonald. With Declan McNulty and Kevin mcaleer bombing up an down the wings it was surely a matter of time before tummery were further in front but on 70 minutes lisbellaw again reduced the deficit when coulter again powered a header home from a freeman corner escaping his marker again. Coulter again had another chance late in the half from a set play but with his feet this time he placed his effort well wide.

Paul mchugh and malachy McLaughlin’ linked up well in the middle third late on an set substitute Brian Campbell through on goal but the covering defender knocked the ball out for a corner which substitute Kyle McCrory headed wide. Lisbellaw tried to send the game to extra time but the solid defensive headers from Campbell and Molloy seen the tie out with Declan McNulty making some great tackles late on.

We progress to the next round of the Mulhern cup and take on Killen Rangers in the next round away from home.

Our reserves travelled to Killen Village yesterday and left empty handed in a 2-1 defeat with Michael Williamson getting the goal for tummery.

Seniors are away to Killen next week and reserves take on Killen thirds in the Reihill Cup